Monday, August 13, 2007

A Job for John!

Good News!!! Last Thursday at noon, John got a call from the principal of Lakeview Elementary, the school John had to leave when we moved to the Dominican Republic. The new principal, Tommy Richardson, asked John if he would be ready at a moment's notice to teach a 5th/6th split class. An older teacher at Lakeview might retire this year, but we're not sure yet, he told John. By Thursday night, it was a sure thing, and John was welcomed back to the school he was so sad to leave a year ago.



John will be on a temporary sub contract until November when the teacher whose place he is taking officially retires. We are so happy and grateful to God for this miracle. We really feel like it's a miracle. John has spent the last few days frantically trying to get a barren classroom ready for the first day of school (Wednesday). We figured out that (in spite of the fact we thought we were so smart when we packed all of our stuff up) half of the stuff John needs for his classroom is in storage in Angola... bad news. We think we might take an emergency trip up there this coming weekend to pick it up. We're just so thrilled that he has a job!



I, however, am still unemployed. Today, I applied for an editing job at a local marketing agency. We'll see how that goes. I've been spending my time helping my parents fix up their house. This week is official "Home Improvement Project" week, and today we put down a new floor in the laundry room. Pictures are forthcoming. Jesse, my brother, has made us a really cool frame for a TV table, and tomorrow, I'll most likely stain the wood for it. Also, last week, I got to spend the day with Jamie, my best friend, at the Indianapolis Art Museum and an old mansion/museum that belonged to the Lily family in the 1920s. We had a fantastic time, and that was the day John got the call from Lakeview, so I might say it was the best day so far this summer.



Coming shortly will be pictures of John in his classroom (that amazingly includes a TV, an LCD projector in the ceiling, five computers, and three printers not to mention all the paper, scissors, pencils, markers, etc. that a teacher could want) at school. Hoorah for the U.S. public school system! We certainly appreciate it a whole lot more after last year.

3 comments:

1UP RPG said...

Hi there!

I featured your good news on my new blog. I hope you don't mind.

God bless!

Bob

Click here for my blog

gettingreal said...

Congratulations on the job!! I just knew something would work out for at least one of you. I've got stuff in the attic stored if John realizes he needs anything else.

Amy

Aliases include: Beckstar, Punky, BDB, Beckles, and future Mrs. Dwight K. Schrute said...

Happy start of school John! Will you miss the baggie filled with a few sheets of paper and pens that don't work from our "supply package" from last year??
(ha ha ha!)

Claire, I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you to get some gig that will keep you in good spirits and also help pay some of the bills. Best o luck my friend!

Be in touch.
p.s. I wonder if Hurricane Dean washed out St. Michael's over the weekend?!

Bright blessings to you both~
love, becky!