Friday, July 27, 2007

Harry Potter, the Pearl of Southern Indiana, and Bad Luck

Harry Potter
I (Claire) must admit that I am slightly obsessed with the Harry Potter books. That was a gross understatement. I am obsessed with them to an almost unhealthy level. In fact, it almost disturbs me because of how much I love the books. Don't worry - I'm not going to spoil the end of the whole story for those of you who have not yet read the book. I will simply say that as I approached the end of the book, I got simultaneously sad and happy because I knew when I would finish the book, that would be the end of the end, and also because I really wanted to know how the whole thing ended up. I laughed and cried as I read the book (the crying while reading thing is unusual for me), and I absolutely loved it. Let's just say that the end is fitting.
We made it back from our road trip in enough time to attend the Harry Potter party in the middle of the night at Borders when the book was released. I have never seen so many people in a bookstore in my life! I can honestly say that every piece of floor space was occupied by some one's feet from about 11:45 pm until 1:00 am. It was CRAZY! I was expecting it to be fun, but what really happened was that I had to stand so close to strangers that my personal space was seriously invaded. I was socially uncomfortable, and it was hot in there, too. But, I'm glad we went because that meant that we could start reading the book first thing in the morning.
John got the privilege of reading it first because I wanted to read the last one again before I read the new one. The deal was (since I'm a faster reader) that John could read the new one until I was finished with the 6th one, then I would get to catch up with him wherever in the story he was. He would get to finish from that point, and then I could finish second. This turned out to be a great plan since I have a hard time masking my reaction to what I read. In fact, John watched me read the last 150 pages or so because he was so entertained by my reactions. He even took video of me reading. I'm so sad that it's over, and it almost bothers me how affected I've been by the whole thing, but I think the reason I love it so much is that I've been following and loving all the characters for so long that I can hardly stand to know I'll never read more of their stories. I'm crazy for a good story, you know, especially one that involves the eternal struggle between good and evil represented by colorful and interesting characters. I guess I still have the movies to look forward to, but I'm always disappointed at how much they have to leave out. John loved the book, too, but he managed to read it with a straight face.

The Pearl of Southern Indiana

We went down to French Lick, Indiana today to visit the recently renovated West Baden Hotel. It was most popular, I think, during the roaring 20s when the rich and famous went there to enjoy the hot springs nearby. Now, this amazingly beautiful hotel is nestled (or hidden) in the run-down town of French Lick and the surrounding farms. When we rounded the corner in the road so we had a nice view of the hotel, I could hardly believe it. It is so glamorous and richly ornate that it looks like it doesn't fit or belong anywhere near French Lick. It's like accidentally finding the Pearl of the World in an oyster you're eating at a backyard barbecue.




Mom and Dad Pontius, John, and I made the trip to see the hotel (and to have lunch at a roadside BBQ place Dad has been raving about for weeks). We had a great time, although it rained much of the time we were there. If you want to see some professional pictures of the outside of the hotel (definitely worth it), click here: http://www.cookgroup.com/historic_landmarks/


First, we went to lunch at the famous BBQ place, and it was great. Then, we went to see the hotels. It was a great time, and the beauty of the decor and architecture was almost overwhelming. I found a chaise lounge that I loved in the dome room of the West Baden Hotel. We took turns sitting in it.




Bad Luck
We have bad luck when it comes to cars. We thought that we were great with the car situation - two somewhat old but smooth-running cars that are completely paid for... well, the green car went capootz. We have to buy a new car, and we were not planning on that. I would write the stuff that the mechanic said went wrong with the motor, but I don't speak gobbledegook. If you want the details, call my dad. So- we're on the lookout for another somewhat old but smooth-running car.

3 comments:

Rob and Amanda said...

Claire,

I'm right there with you when it comes to being obsessed with Harry Potter!! I preordered the book and got it on the 21st and have already read it twice!! I wanted to read it a second time to absorb what I didn't pick up on the first time. Half Blood Prince is still my favorite but it was great finally seeing what happens in the end. I agree with you that I think it was a fitting end. I did hope the epilogue would have given us more info on what happened to everyone afterwards!

Anyway, I'm enjoying the blog. I'm keeping the job situation in my prayers. I'm sure something will come up for you guys! I look forward to seeing you guys again in October!

~Amanda

gettingreal said...

Just one more Harry Potter fan here. Unfortunately, I can't get enough time to read with a toddler and baby on the way tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow!! I'm about 200 pages into the last book at the moment and am greatly anticipating the end, especially after hearing your reaction. By the way, we are selling Jason's '93 Honda Accord for around $3200 if you're interested. We just joined the world of mini-van driving people. It's in pretty decent shape and I just spent hours cleaning it up. Let us know if you're interested in a test drive. It has about 103,000 miles on it, but for a Honda that's not too bad. Feel free to visit at the hospital between tomorrow and Wed. night.

--Amy L.

Kristi said...

Hi, Claire!

I have to admit to being HP-obsessed, too. I ended up staying up until 4:00 a.m. the Sunday night after the book was released to finish it - and I definitely paid for it the next day, I was so tired and groggy and just generally had that post-Christmas sort of letdown feeling. Were you at the Bloomington Borders when the book came out? I've been interning in Fort Wayne in the main library's young adult department, so I got roped into helping with our huge release party Friday night, and it was a blast. I worked at Mitchell Books during the sixth book's release, too. It's sad to realize there aren't going to be any more big midnight parties for the books anymore.